According to the Presidential Decree No. 2019/075 of 18 February 2019 reorganizing IRAD, the Institute is a reference center for agricultural research. It promotes agricultural development, particularly in the fields of plant, animal, forestry, fishery and environmental production, as well as food and agro-industrial technologies. As such, these activities cover two (02) components, including agricultural research and the promotion of agricultural development..
- Ensuring research, collection, processing, preservation and dissemination of scientific, technological and innovative knowledge, with an impact on the development of sectors in its areas of competence;
- Ensuring the valorization of research results at the level of development actors, in liaison with the ministries in charge of the rural sector (agriculture, animal industries, breeding, forest, fauna, environment and sustainable development);
- Developing national research strategies, and contributing to the development of sub-regional, regional and international research strategies, as well as to the dialogue between science, research and society in its fields of competence;
- Participating on initiative or on order, in the carrying out of studies or services in accordance with its purpose;
- Assisting the State Authorities in the design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of activities related to its purpose;
- Assisting the State authorities on issues relating to intellectual property, standards and quality of agricultural products, in conjunction with the organization in charge of Standards and Quality;
Promoting Agricultural Development
- Development of agri-food and agro-industrial technologies as well as scientific models for environmental conservation, economic and sustainable management of agricultural resources;
- Development of scientific and technical cooperation with specialized national, sub-regional, regional and international institutions in its fields of competence;
- Implementation of a scientific program around the priority axes for the development of the country, based on the real needs of the users;
- Valorizing and making available to users the results of research and reliable data to meet their needs;
- Ensuring the capacity building of researchers, technicians and staff of the sectoral administrations necessary for the accomplishment of its missions;
- Contributing to the development and updating of Cameroon’s agricultural map;
- Build collections for agricultural, plant, animal, forestry, environmental and fisheries research.